Alert for U.S. Citizens: Karachi
Observance of Yom-e-Ali on Wednesday, June 6, 2018
The U.S. Consulate General in Karachi advises U.S. citizens that on Wednesday, June 6, 2018, ‘Yom-e-Ali’ will be observed with processions and religious gatherings.
In Karachi, mourners will march from Nishter Park to Imambargah Hussainiyah Iranian via Shah-e-Khurasan, Empress Market, Tibet Center, Kharadar, and Bolton Market. The current schedule indicates that the procession will depart Nishter Park at 13:00hrs and reach its destination, Imambargah Hussainiyah Iranian, between 19:15hrs-21:00hrs. Police will cordon off the procession route in the evening of June 5 and re-open it after the procession reaches its destination and mourners disperse.
U.S. citizens should avoid procession areas due to potentially large crowds and traffic congestion and sudden changes in security. U.S. citizens are reminded to expect traffic delays, increased number of people in public areas, and unplanned disruptions in transportation. You should exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings.
For further information:
· See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Worldwide Travel Alert, the active Travel Warning for Pakistan, and Pakistan Country Specific Information.
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
· Contact the U.S. Embassy in Islamabad, located at Diplomatic Enclave, Ramna 5, +92 51 201 4000. (Calling within Pakistan, dial 051 201 4000.) This number is also available 24 hours a day for emergencies involving U.S. citizens in other parts of Pakistan.
· Contact the U.S. Consulate in Karachi, located at Plot No. 3-5, TPX Area, Mai Kolachi Road, Karachi, at +92 21 3527 5000. (Calling within Pakistan, dial 021 3527 5000.) This number is available 24 hours a day for emergencies involving U.S. citizens in the provinces of Sindh and Balochistan.
· Contact the U.S. Consulate in Lahore, located at 50 Shahrah-E-Abdul Hameed Bin Badees (Old Empress Road), at +92 42 3603 4000. (Calling within Pakistan, dial 042 3603 4000.) This number is available 24 hours a day for emergencies involving U.S. citizens in the province of Punjab south of the Jehlum River and the district of Bhakkar.
· Contact the U.S. Consulate in Peshawar, located at 11 Hospital Road, Peshawar Cantonment, at +92 91 526 8800. (Calling within Pakistan, dial 091 526 8800.) This number is available 24 hours a day for emergencies involving U.S. citizens in the province of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA). See also Consulate General Peshawar’s section on the Mission Pakistan webpage.
· Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada, or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
· Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.