An official website of the United States government



Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) certifies the acquisition of U.S. citizenship at birth for a person born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements to transmit citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).  U.S. non-citizen nationals are also eligible for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, using the non-citizen option.

Eligibility Requirements:

To apply for a CRBA in Pakistan, your child must be under 18 years of age and must appear in person at the embassy or one of our consulates.  Generally, both parents must attend the interview.  To see if your child may qualify for U.S. citizenship at birth see Acquisition of U.S. Citizenship at Birth by a Child Born Abroad  and Birth of U.S. Citizens and Non-Citizen Nationals Abroad.

How to Apply (online application and payment)

  1. Create an account with MyTravelGov .  MyTravelGov is a secure, encrypted portal. Watch this video  to learn about creating your account.
  2. Once you create a MyTravelGov account, access eCRBA and submit your application online. The online process provides applicants with step-by-step instructions to complete the application.
  3. Review the required documents for the CRBA application using this checklist below.
  4. Schedule your CRBA Interview: After payment, please allow 72 hours between payment submission and CRBA interview appointment time to allow time for the payment to be processed. Once the payment is processed and you receive the confirmation, CRBA appointment for Lahore, Karachi and Islamabad can only be obtained using the ACS Islamabad Navigator , ACS Karachi Navigator and ACS Lahore  Navigator .
  5. Attend your in-person interview appointment with your original documents and their single-sided photocopies. Original documents will be returned to you.  The child must be present at interview appointment. Generally, both parents must attend the interview.

Other Important Information

A Social Security Number application can be submitted after receiving the original Consular Report of Birth Abroad and U.S. passport. To obtain a Social Security Number for your child, consult our Federal Benefits Unit page.

CRBA Process Explained