Congratulations on the birth of your child.  In order to obtain a U.S. passport for your child we first need to determine if they acquired U.S. citizenship at birth.  This is done by applying for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad.

At least one parent and the child must be physically present for your appointment.

Please bring the following items with you.  If you are missing any, you may be asked to schedule a new appointment and return on another day.

  1. Completed application for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (DS-2029)
  2. Completed application for a Passport (DS-11)
  3. If both parents are not present for the interview, the absent parent will need to complete and notarize a Statement of Consent (DS3053).
  4. One recent photograph of your child. Photos must be: 5×5 cm, color with a white background, and not altered or photo-shopped.
  5. Fee for the service is $100 (if you would like to apply for the your child’s passport at the same time, that fee is an additional $115). The fee can be paid in US dollars, Pakistani Rupees, or with a credit card.
  6. Child’s birth record issued by the hospital and the birth certificate issued by a NADRA office.
  7. Passport or naturalization certificate of the U.S. citizen parent.
  8. Photo identification of non-citizen parent.
  9. Parent’s original Nikah Namah and marriage certificate issued by a NADRA office.
  10. If applicable, original divorce and/or death certificates for all prior marriages.
  11. Evidence of U.S. citizen parent’s physical presence in the United States (not necessary if both parents are U.S. citizens). U.S. law requires that the parent attempting to transmit citizenship have at least five (5) years of presence in the United States, two (2) of which are after the age of fourteen. Examples of such evidence are:
  • Old Passports
  • School transcripts
  • Employment records/pay stubs

Please Note:

  • All documents must be presented in either their original form or a certified copy by a notarial in the United States or a U.S. Embassy. We are unable to accept documents certified by local notaries.
  • If any of your documents are not in English, you will need to provide a certified English translation.

Once you have compiled all the required documents, applicants at Consulate Karachi may schedule an appointment using the online appointment system. Applicants located in other consular districts should email their nearest ACS section ( or to request an appointment.