- From Chandni Chowk, Rawalpindi, to Faizabad intersection.
- From Zia Mosque to the Faizabad intersection.
- From the Red Mosque (Lal Masjid) to Aabpara intersection.
- From the All Party Hurriyat Conference (APHC) office to the United Nations office.
Event: Demonstrations are expected to take place on April 6, 2018, following afternoon prayers. Multiple groups plan demonstrations. Tehreek-e-Labaik Pakistan (TLP)/Tehreek Labaik Ya Rasool ul Allah (TLYRA) supporters plan to protest the decision by the anti-terror court to issue an arrest warrant for their leader. Ahle Sunnat Wal Jamaat (ASJW) are organizing a rally to seek the release of their recently detained leader. ASJW are also expected to condemn the recent Kunduz airstrike in Afghanistan. Members of the Red Mosque (Lal Masjid) will rally to mark solidarity with the Kashmiri people and to condemn the Kunduz airstrike. All Party Hurriyat Conference (APHC) supporters are expected to march to the United Nations office (via Diplomatic Gate # 2) to deliver a letter to both the UN and Indian High Commission officials in solidarity with the Kashmiri people and to protest the Kunduz airstrike.
U.S. government personnel are advised to avoid the following streets and intersections:
- Roads leading to and from the Islamabad Press Club and Red Mosque where traffic congestion resulting from protest activity may occur, especially after Friday prayers.
- Expressway (between Karal Chowk and Faizabad intersection), Jinnah avenue (blue area), Kashmir highway near Aabpara, Jinnah chowk (on Jinnah avenue), where drivers might also encounter heavy traffic.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- S. Embassy Islamabad, Pakistan
- S. Consulate General Karachi
+(92)(21) 3527 5000
- S. Consulate General Lahore
+(92) (42) 3603 4000
- S. Consulate Peshawar
+(92) (91) 526 8800
- State Department– Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Pakistan Country Information
- Enroll in Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter