Event: Mission Pakistan cautions U.S. citizens that demonstrations are expected to continue at various locations throughout Pakistan in reaction to the Supreme Court decision regarding the Asia Bibi court case, particularly around the time of afternoon prayer on Friday, November 2, 2018. Demonstrations have resulted in altercations among protestors to which police have responded. Continue to expect heavy police presence in major cities to maintain public safety, blocked and/or heavily congested roadways, cellular service disruption, delays at security check points and possible violence. Various groups have called for strikes throughout Pakistan.
U.S. Government personnel are under an increased security posture with more restricted movements.
Actions to take:
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Avoid crowds.
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Carry proper Identification, including a U.S. passport with a current Pakistani visa.
- U.S. Embassy Islamabad, Pakistan
- U.S. Consulate General Karachi
+(92)(21) 3527 5000
- U.S. Consulate General Lahore
+(92) (42) 3603 4000
- U.S. Consulate Peshawar
+(92) (91) 526 8800
- State Department– Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Pakistan Country Information
- Enroll in Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter