(October 31, 2018)
Event: Mission Pakistan cautions U.S. citizens that beginning Wednesday, October 31, demonstrations are expected at various locations throughout Pakistan in reaction to the Supreme Court decision regarding the Asia Bibi court case. Past demonstrations have resulted in violent altercations among protestors, heavy police presence in major cities to maintain public safety, blocked and/or heavily congested roadways, cellular service disruption, and delays at security check points.
Actions to take:
- Maintain vigilant situational awareness and keep a low profile.
- Avoid large crowds, areas of demonstrations, locations frequented by Westerners, and hotels that do not apply stringent security measures.
- Exercise extreme caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Vary your times and routes when traveling in Pakistan.
- Verify that travel documents, visas, and residency documents remain valid and accessible at all times.
- U.S. Embassy Islamabad, Pakistan
- U.S. Consulate General Karachi
+(92)(21) 3527 5000
- U.S. Consulate General Lahore
+(92) (42) 3603 4000
- U.S. Consulate Peshawar
+(92) (91) 526 8800
- State Department– Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444