American Citizens Services

COVID-19 Travel – Requirements for Air Travelers to the U.S.

COVID-19 Information

Welcome to U.S. Consulate General Karachi’s American Citizens Services (ACS) unit.

We provide consular assistance and information to U.S. citizens in the provinces of Sindh and Baluchistan.

The ACS unit will not provide U.S. visa-related services or respond to U.S. visa-related inquiries.  For questions regarding U.S. immigrant visas, please click here.  For questions regarding U.S. nonimmigrant visas, please click here.


Passport applicants are encouraged to use the Department of State Passport Wizard tool to determine the appropriate application forms, fees, and photo requirements.

On the final page of the Passport Wizard, you will see the options “Complete by Hand” and “Form Filler.”  Applicants are encouraged to use the “Form Filler” option. The Form Filler will collect your information online and automatically generate a completed PDF to print.  If you are unable to use the form filler tool, you may print the form and complete it by hand.

Tips for Using the Form Filler Tool:

  • Begin your application by clicking on “Submit” under the “Fill Out Online and Print” column.
  • Form Filler will begin as a form DS-11 by default, but it will generate a PDF of the correct form at the end (DS-11, DS-82, DS-5504, etc.) based on your responses.
  • For the question “was your most recent passport book limited for two years or less?” only select “yes” if the passport you are renewing was an emergency passport issued by a consulate or embassy overseas. If the passport you are renewing was limited to two or four years because it is a second passport, select “no.”
  • Overseas posts have no expedited service or overnight delivery.  Selecting these will have no effect on the processing of your application or the fee you are charged at your interview.
  • To print your application, scroll to the bottom of the final page, check the box for acknowledgement, and click the blue “Create Form” button.  This will generate the PDF that you must print and bring to your appointment.

Applicants Under 16:

  • Application form DS-11.  Please do not sign.
  • Applicant’s current passport and photocopy of biographic page
  • Original birth certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)
  • Both parents must attend the interview along with the child and present government issued photo ID or a valid passport.  If one parent is unable to attend the interview, they will be required to complete a DS-3053 (Statement of Consent: Issuance of a U.S. passport to a Minor Under Age 16) and submit a copy of the non-applying parent’s photo ID.  Please note the DS-3053 must be notarized by a U.S. Notary or a consular officer at a U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate.  Local notaries are not accepted.
  • Passport photo of applicant:  2 inch by 2 inch (5 cm by 5 cm) square on a white background. See requirements here.
  • Every applicant who has been issued a Social Security Number (SSN) must enter it on their passport application.  If you do not know your SSN, you must obtain it from the Social Security Administration’s Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) in Manila prior to your passport appointment.  You can reach them by email at
  • Fee payment of $135 accepted at interview via credit card, U.S. currency, and/or Pakistani rupees.  If paying in cash, please provide exact change. 
  • In some cases, other documents may be needed such as age progression photos, custody documents, etc.
  • For additional guidance or information, please email the ACS unit in Karachi.

Applicants Ages 16 or 17:

  • Application form DS-11.  Please do not sign.
  • Applicant’s current passport and photocopy of biographic page
  • At least one parent should attend interview to show parental awareness, if possible.
  • Passport photo of applicant:  2 inch by 2 inch (5 cm by 5 cm) square on a white background. See requirements here.
  • Every applicant who has been issued a Social Security Number (SSN) must enter it on their passport application.  If you do not know your SSN, you must obtain it from the Social Security Administration’s Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) in Manila prior to your passport appointment.  You can reach them by email at
  • Fee payment of $165 accepted at interview via credit card, U.S. currency, and/or Pakistani rupees. If paying in cash, please provide exact change.
  • For more specific information about parental awareness and other requirements, please email the ACS unit in Karachi.

First-Time Applicants Ages 18 and Older:

  • Application form  DS-11.  Please do not sign.
  • Passport photo of applicant:  2 inch by 2 inch (5 cm by 5 cm) square on a white background. See requirements here.
  • Every applicant who has been issued a Social Security Number (SSN) must enter it on their passport application.  If you do not know your SSN, you must obtain it from the Social Security Administration’s Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) in Manila prior to your passport appointment.  You can reach them by email at
  • Fee payment of $165 accepted at interview via credit card, U.S. currency, and/or Pakistani rupees. If paying in cash, please provide exact change. 
  • For more specific information, please email the ACS unit in Karachi.

Passport Renewals for Adults (current passport valid for 10 years):

You must apply via mail and pay the application fee online if you are applying for a passport book renewal only.

Eligibility Requirements for Adult Passport Renewals:

  • Must be able to submit your most recent U.S. passport book by mail with your application;
  • Must have been at least 16 years old when your most recent passport book was issued;
  • Must have been issued your most recent U.S. passport book less than 15 years ago;
  • Most recent U.S. passport book must have had a validity of 10 years from issuance to expiration;
  • Most recent U.S. passport book must have been issued in your current name (or be able to provide document name change by submitting marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order with passport application;) and
  • Must reside in and/or have a valid mailing address in Pakistan.

Step 1:  SIGN and complete the DS-82 Passport Renewal Form.  Type or print clearly in blank ink.

*NOTE:  You must provide a Social Security number, if you been issued one.  If you do not have a Social Security number, please click here.

Step 2:  Obtain one WHITE background color passport photo 2” x 2” (5 x 5 cm) taken within the past six months; no eyeglasses.  See more information on photo requirements.

Step 3:  Include one photocopy (color or black and white) of the biographic data page of your previous U.S. passport.

Step 4:  Include the passport you are renewing in the package you provide to the courier service.

Step 5:  Name change documents (if applicable) (original + 1 photocopy)

If you would like to change the name on your new passport due to marriage, divorce, or court order, please include proof of your name change.  Documents must be original with English translation if applicable (e.g., Marriage Certificate, Divorce Decree, Court Order).

Step 6:  Pay the $130 passport application fee via the U.S. government’s secure payment site. After successfully paying the fee, you must print the electronic payment confirmation you receive via email and include it in the package you deliver to the courier.

Step 7:  Contact the courier service to arrange dropping off your renewal form, passport, and fee receipt at one of their locations throughout Pakistan by email at and or by telephone at 111-123-456.

Step 8:  Your new passport will be delivered via the courier service either to a regional office or directly to your home.  Passport processing takes approximately four weeks.

Passport Card:

  • If you are applying for a passport card along with a passport book then you must make an appointment to apply in person at the embassy or consulate nearest you. Fee payment will be accepted with the cashier before the interview via credit card, U.S. currency, and/or Pakistani rupees. If paying in cash, please provide exact change.

If your physical U.S. passport is lost or stolen, immediately report it to protect yourself from identity theft.

Reporting your passport lost or stolen does not automatically replace your passport.  You will need to make an appointment for a passport and present a Report of a Lost or Stolen Passport (DS-64) and an Application for a U.S. Passport (DS-11).  If you have filed a police report, please bring that as well.

Additionally, for the interview, you can bring along any valid photo ID that you possess.

For more information, please email the ACS unit in Karachi.

Registering a Birth Abroad:


  • You are a U.S. citizen parent.
  • Your biological child was born outside the United States or its territories.
  • Your child is under the age of 18 years; and
  • The U.S. citizen parent(s) meet the transmission requirements as outlined in the Table of Transmission Requirements.

You may apply for your child’s Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) before the child’s 18th birthday at the U.S. Mission in Pakistan.

To apply for a CRBA at the U.S. Mission in Pakistan, the child’s biological parent(s), preferably the U.S. citizen parent, must appear in person for the interview with the child.  Either parent, including a non-U.S. citizen parent, may execute and sign this application in front of the consular officer.

Information for persons over the age of 18 who are attempting to acquire citizenship through their U.S. citizen parent(s) as adults can be found on the “Derivative U.S. Citizenship for Adults” section.  NOTE:  Only biological children of U.S citizens may qualify for a CRBA or Derivative U.S. Citizenship.  Adoption of a child by an U.S. citizen does not confer U.S. citizenship to the child; however, adopted children may be eligible for citizenship through naturalization, pursuant to a lawful admission into the United States as a permanent resident.  Please visit the Department of State’s Child Citizenship Act of 2000 page for more information.

Requests for social security numbers may be submitted to a Federal Benefits Unit office once your child’s CRBA and/or U.S. passport are issued.

Please read the below information in preparation for your interview.  Prepare ALL required documentation below before appearing for your child’s CRBA interview.

  • Complete application for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (DS-2029).  Page two “period in the U.S.” information must be completed accurately!
  • Completed application for a Passport (DS-11), if applying for a U.S. passport in conjunction with the CRBA.
  • Both parents must accompany the child for the appointment, if both parents are not present for the interview, the absent parent will need to complete and notarize a Statement of Consent (DS-3053).
  • One recent photograph of your child. Photos must be: 5×5 cm, color with a white background, and not altered in any way.
  • Fee for the CRBA service is $100 (if you would like to apply for your child’s passport at the same time, that fee is an additional $135). The fee can be paid in US dollars, Pakistani Rupees, or with a credit card.
  • Child’s birth record issued by the hospital and the birth certificate issued by a Union Council or NADRA office.
  • Passport or naturalization certificate of the U.S. citizen parent.
  • Photo identification of the non-U.S. citizen parent.
  • Parent’s original Nikah Namah and official marriage certificate issued by a Union Council, NADRA office, other official state/national government office.
  • If applicable, original divorce and/or death certificates for all prior marriages.
  • Evidence of the U.S. citizen parent’s physical presence in the United States (not necessary if both parents are U.S. citizens). Bring original or hard copies of the evidence to interview.  Examples of such evidence are old passports showing entry and exit stamps, school transcripts, and employment records/pay stubs. Tax returns alone are not sufficient as they do not prove physical presence in the U.S.
  • For more information, please email the ACS Unit in Karachi.

Applicants 18 years old and older, born outside the United States, may claim U.S. citizenship from a parent who at the time of the applicant’s birth was a United States citizen.  Once the citizenship claim is established, the applicant qualifies for a first-time U.S. passport.  Applicants 18 years old and older are not eligible for CRBA issuance.

In order for an adult applicant to claim U.S. citizenship, the applicant must fulfill the following three requirements:

1)   Transmission – The U.S. citizen parent(s) must have been a U.S. citizen at the time of the applicant’s birth and have sufficient physical presence in the U.S. to transmit citizenship.  The transmission requirements depend on the date of birth of the applicant and the legal relationship between the parents at the time of the birth of the applicant.  See the Transmission Requirements for Citizenship.

2)   Legitimation – The child/applicant must meet the legal requirements pertaining to legitimation.  A child born to a female U.S. citizen (and a non-U.S. citizen father) is automatically legitimated.  Proof of legitimation is, however, required for a child born to a male U.S. citizen.  Persons born to an in-wedlock U.S. citizen father and non-U.S. citizen mother are legitimated by virtue of the marriage.  Persons born to an out-of-wedlock U.S. citizen father and non-U.S. citizen mother, and not legitimated by the natural parents’ subsequent marriage can be legitimated by the following procedures:

  • While the person is under the age of 18 years old, the father acknowledged paternity of the person in writing under oath or the paternity of the person was established by adjudication of a competent court,  and
  • Before the applicant reached the age of 18, the father (unless deceased before the applicant’s 18th birthday) agreed in writing and under oath to provide financial support for the applicant until the applicant reaches the age of 18 years old.  (NOTE: The father should complete the form “Affidavit of Parentage, Physical Presence and Support” (DS-5507) (PDF 81KB), in conjunction with a CRBA application, to satisfy these requirements.

3)   Filiation – The applicant must establish a biological and legal relationship with the claimed U.S. citizen parent.

Please read the below information in preparation for your interview.  Prepare ALL required documentation below before appearing for your Derivative Citizenship Claim/Passport interview.

  • Photos of applicant.  You will need two (2) identical passport photographs, 2in x 2in (5cm x 5cm) in dimension, set against a white background.
  • Unsigned, completed Application for a U.S. Passport (DS-11).  Do not sign this form until so instructed by a Consular Officer.  The form must be completed electronically and printed.
  • Original birth certificate.  Original birth certificate issued by the Union Council / NADRA.
  • Passport/Identification of the applicant.  The applicant must bring his/her passport or a government issued photographic ID for the interview.
  • Photographs of the applicant at different ages.  These photos should be a sampling that represents the applicant’s physical evolution from infancy to current age.  If possible, the photos should show the applicant and the U.S. citizen parent together.
  • Evidence of parents U.S. citizenship.  The applicant must present proof of citizenship of the U.S. citizen parent.  Possible evidence includes current and expired U.S. passports and Certificates of Naturalization.  Please bring the original, if obtainable, and photocopies of each.
  • Parents’ marriage certificate, if applicable.  Please bring the original Marriage Certificate.
  • If the parents were not married at the time of the birth of the applicant, evidence of Legitimation must be submitted.  
  • Divorce and annulment decrees/death certificates, if applicable, and one photocopy of same.  The applicant must show termination of all prior marriages of his/her mother and/or father.  If the U.S. citizen parent is deceased, please provide an original death certificate.  Please bring certified translations if the decrees or certificates are not in English.
  • Death certificate of the U.S. citizen parent, if applicable.  Please bring the original Death Certificate of the applicant’s U.S. citizen parent.
  • Documentary Evidence (original and one photocopy) of U.S. citizen parent’s physical presence in the U.S. The law requires the derivative applicant to present proof that his/her U.S. citizen parent(s) resided physically in the United States for a defined period of time.  Regularly available documents that may establish physical presence in the U.S. before the child’s birth include: Transcripts from High School and/or College, Income Tax Returns and W2s, old passports, and a DD-214 Separation Statement (Military Members only).  There are many other documents that may be submitted to demonstrate previous physical presence in the U.S., and the Consular Officer will evaluate any of these.
  • Evidence of couple’s relationship prior to the conception of the applicant.  The burden of proving a claim to U.S. citizenship, including blood relationship, is on the person making such claim.  Photos prior to the time of conception, letters, and other correspondence, may help to establish the parents’ relationship prior to the conception of the applicant.  Genetic testing is a useful tool for verifying a stated biological relationship when no other form of credible evidence is available in conjunction with a citizenship application.  Note: Do not initiate a DNA Test unless it was recommended by the Embassy for your pending CRBA or Passport application.  A DNA Test that was done independently and not according to Department of State procedures will not be accepted to support a CRBA or Passport application.
  • Receipt of payment of passport application fee (non-refundable).  The fee for an adult passport is $165 and will be paid at the Consular Section on the day of the appointment via cash or credit card.

In order to verify relationship, the consular office may suggest a DNA test.  This test analyzes the genetic material present in every human cell.  DNA testing has been found to be more than 99 percent accurate in determining family relationships:  parent/child, brother/sister, etc.

If the applicant decides to submit to DNA testing, they are required to make arrangements for the test with any DNA laboratory in the United States that is accredited by the American Association of Blood Banks (AABB) and conducts buccal swab testing.  A list of AABB-accredited parental testing labs is attached and also can be found at:

Please ensure, however, that the DNA laboratory you choose:

  • Can process buccal swabs;
  • Is willing to process the testing for the relationship under question (not all tests are for paternity);
  • Is willing to handle international shipments; and
  • Will forward the buccal swab test kit to the Consulate in a pre-paid envelope.

For information regarding replacement or amendment of a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, please visit the website–citizen/replace-amend-CRBA.html

This section contains information that is on the instruction pages of the DS-2029 form, and it has additional information that is relevant to submitting your application.  It does not include all the fields on the form, but it includes the fields that historically have the most mistakes upon submission of the form:

  • Field # 1
    Enter the name of the child as it is recorded on the local birth certificate.
  • Field # 5/11
    Enter Mother/Father/Parent’s name as it appears on the passport and/or government issued identity document.  In the case of the U. S. Citizen please make sure the information entered in this field is the same that reflects the latest U.S. passport.
  • Field # 6/12
    Enter all legal names ever used by mother/father/parent, including name at birth.  Most naturalized U.S. citizens have only one last name on their U.S. passport, in this field they would include both last names as is on their foreign birth certificate, if applicable.
  • Field # 7
    The address in this field is just for information purposes. You can enter a U.S. or a local address.
  • Field # 10/16
    Enter the address in the foreign country where the application is completed.  Make sure you provide a phone number that we can reach you at during regular business hours since this is our contact method to schedule the appointment.
  • Field # 22/23
    Date of marriage; end date, if any; and manner ended, if applicable. If you have never been married, enter “none.”  Please add the place city and state (if in the U.S.) or city and country (if outside of the U.S.) of the previous marriage.
  • Field # 24/25
    List all dates you have been present in the United States. The transmitting U.S. Citizens parent will have to write down all the dates that s/he has been physically present inside the United States. If you require additional space to write down the information please continue on Section D of the DS-2029 form.

Notarial Services:

Documents used for legal purposes in the United States may require notarization by a U.S. consular officer.  Here are the requirements for using notarial services:

  1. The individual who needs to sign the document must appear in person for the appointment, present proper valid photo identification, and pay the appropriate fee.
  2. If the document requires witnesses for the service, you must bring the witnesses to the interview.
  3. Do not sign the document until requested to do so by the notarizing consular officer.  Depending on the nature of the document, the consular officer will either take an acknowledgement that your signature was done freely and with an understanding of the document’s contents or administer an oath whereby you swear or affirm the contents of a document are true.
  4. Notarizing officers do not certify that the contents of submitted documents are true.  A notarizing officer only certifies that you have signed and sworn or affirmed under oath that the contents are true.
  5. Notarizing officers are prohibited from offering legal advice regarding the form or content of documents to be notarized.
  6. Appointments are required for notary services.
  7. We do not notarize any document on “rupee” paper.

We recommend U.S. citizens authenticate their documents (especially educational certificates, marriage certificates and birth certificates) in the United States before coming to Pakistan.  The consulate is unable to authenticate these documents.

If the document was issued by a U.S. authority, and you wish to use the document in Pakistan, you must complete the four step “chain authentication process” in which a series of authorities in the United States will affix a succession of seals beginning with the issuer of your original document and ending with the seal of the Embassy of Pakistan in Washington, DC, and the appropriate office of the Pakistan Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

How to Authenticate a Document

STEP ONE:  Obtain the original document and complete the first authentication:

  • Educational degrees and transcripts:  Documents issued by educational institutions should be originals obtained from the educational institutions themselves. Most schools have notaries public to provide certified copies of the degrees or transcripts. Once issued, these documents must then be authenticated by the Secretary of State of the state in which the school is located. Contact the school to determine how to have your document authenticated by the state’s Secretary of State. In some cases, you may be required to bring the document to a county office for authentication prior to sending it to the state’s Secretary of State.
  • Documents issued by a U.S. State:  State documents are those originating with a state court or agency (birth, death, and marriage certificates, etc.). They must be authenticated by that state’s Secretary of State. Contact them or send your original document or its certified copy for initial authentication of the town/county/state’s issuing officer. Information on the offices of Secretaries of State for the U.S. states is available at:
  • Notarized documents:  The procedure for authenticating documents executed before a notary public, such as affidavits or acknowledgments, varies from state to state. It is advisable to contact the state authentication authority to learn what steps, if any, are required between the notary seal and the state level authentication.
  • Documents issued by federal agencies:  If your document was issued under the seal of a federal agency, it does not require a state level authentication. You may proceed directly to Step Two.
  • Documents issued by federal courts: Documents issued under the seal of a federal court should be sent to:

Justice Management Division, Security Program Staff
Physical Security Office, Room 6531
9th and Pennsylvania Avenue
Washington, D.C.  20530

Telephone: (202) 514-2314 or 514-4667

STEP TWO: Get your document authenticated by the U.S. Department of State’s Office of Authentications

  • Once you have completed the state level authentication, you must get your document authenticated by the U.S. Department of State’s Office of Authentications. There is a fee of $8.00 for each authentication. You may pay by a check drawn on a U.S. bank or a money order made payable to the Department of State. Complete information on this process can be found here.

STEP THREE:  Authentication by the Embassy of Pakistan in Washington, DC:

  • After obtaining the Department of State’s authentication, you must submit your document to the Embassy of Pakistan in Washington DC for their authentication. You may contact the Embassy of Pakistan to schedule this

STEP FOUR:  The final level of authentication is done by the Pakistan Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Pakistan. Information can be found here. With these four steps completed, your document issued in the United States may be used in Pakistan.

With these four steps completed, your document issued in the United States may be used in Pakistan.

Occasionally, we receive requests to certify true copies of educational transcripts or diplomas, bank statements, court documents, or other such official records.

Unfortunately, our offices cannot certify true copies of documents.  Such requests should usually be addressed to the office which issued the document in question.  For example, certified true copies of academic records should be requested from the registrar of the institution that originally issued them.

In certain circumstances, the U.S. Consulate in Karachi can make certified true copies of documents for use in the United States.  For example, the U.S. Consulate can make a certified true copy of a Pakistani passport for submission with Form W-7 to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service to obtain an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).

For more information, please email the ACS unit in Karachi.

The notarial fee is $50 per seal. This means if you have one document that requires three places for the notarizing consular officer to sign and seal, the fee would be $150. If the U.S. Consulate is notarizing a document that is required by the U.S. government, there is no fee.

Appointments for Passport, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, and Notarial Services:

Arrival to the Consulate:

The U.S. Consulate General in Karachi is located at Mai Kolachi Road.  Applicants must enter the consulate from gate # 3.  Please note that there is no parking at the consulate.  Gate # 3 is for applicants to walk-in or drop off requested documents only.

In response to COVID-19, we have instituted strict health and safety measures to protect our staff and customers.  Only individuals whose appearance is necessary for the appointment will be permitted to enter. Face masks are mandatory for all applicants over two years of age. We request that any individual experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 reschedule your appointment for a later date.  Individuals who appear symptomatic will be denied entry to the consulate.  In an effort to minimize the number of customers in our waiting room, you may be required to wait outside until the applicants before you have completed their interview.  Please do not arrive more than 15 minutes prior to your appointment.

U.S. Visa Inquiries:

ACS unit staff WILL NOT answer visa questions.  If you made an appointment for an American Citizens Service and use it to ask a visa question, we will not assist you.

Late Arrivals:

Late arrival will be asked to reschedule.  Please arrive to the consulate 15 minutes before your appointment time.

Multiple Appointments:

Please schedule separate appointments for each member of your family requesting a service.  For example, if you are a family of three, and each family member requires a passport service, please make three separate appointments. Parents or guardians accompanying a child for a child passport service do not require an appointment.

Wrong Appointments:

Applicants who schedule an appointment for the wrong type of service will not be served.  For example, if an applicant schedules a passport appointment but actually requests a notarial service, they will not be served.


To avoid inconvenience and delay in processing, please download the required form(s) and complete them before coming to the Consulate.  Make sure you bring the completed forms on the day of your appointment.  Applicants without completed forms may be required to reschedule their appointment.

Document Delivery:

Once the new passport and/or CRBA is ready, the ACS unit will return it to the applicant via courier service, TCS (Pvt) Limited.

After your appointment interview, you will be directed to the TCS desk to register for your document delivery.

Please contact TCS for more information.

TCS Help line: 111-123-456

Email address:

Prohibited Items:

  • Weapons
  • Controlled Substances
  • Narcotics
  • Explosive
  • Flammable Liquids
  • Cellular Phones
  • Radios
  • Beepers
  • Photography Equipment
  • Electronic Equipment

Non-hazardous items may be stored temporarily with the consulate security officials in the space provided. The U.S. Consulate staff will NOT be held responsible for lost or damaged items.

Generally, immediate family members may accompany passport or CRBA applicants to their appointment interviews at a U.S. embassy or consulate, and all minor children must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.  Passport or CRBA applicants also have the option of being accompanied by an attorney at their appointment interview.  Attendance by any third party, including an attorney, accompanying an applicant is subject to the following parameters designed to ensure an orderly appointment interview process and to maintain the integrity of the adjudication of the application(s):

  • Given space limitations in the consular section, the consulate may limit the number of attendees to only one to accompany an applicant. (Both parents or guardians will be permitted if the applicant is a minor).
  • Attendance by a third party does not excuse the applicant and/or the minor applicant’s parents or guardian from attending the appointment interview in person.
  • The manner in which a passport or CRBA appointment interview is conducted, and the scope and nature of the inquiry, shall at all times be at the discretion of the consular officer, following applicable Departmental guidance.
  • It is expected that attorneys will provide their clients with relevant legal advice prior to, rather than at, the appointment interview, and will advise their clients prior to the appointment interview that the client will participate in the appointment interview with minimal assistance.
  • Attorneys may not engage in any form of legal argumentation during the appointment interview and before the consular officer.
  • Attendees other than a parent or guardian accompanying a minor child may not answer a consular officer’s question on behalf or in lieu of an applicant, nor may they summarize, correct, or attempt to clarify an applicant’s response, or interrupt or interfere with an applicant’s responses to a consular officer’s questions.
  • To the extent that an applicant does not understand a question, s/he should seek clarification from the consular officer directly.
  • The consular officer has sole discretion to determine the appropriate language(s) for communication with the applicant, based on the facility of both the officer and the applicant as well as the manner and form that best facilitate communication between the consular officer and the applicant.  Attendees may not demand that communications take place in a particular language solely for the benefit of the attendee.  Nor may attendees object to or insist on the participation of an interpreter in the appointment interview, to the qualifications of any interpreter, or to the manner or substance of any translation.
  • No attendee may coach or instruct applicants as to how to answer a consular officer’s question.
  • Attendees may not object to a consular officer’s question on any ground (including that the attendee regards the question to be inappropriate, irrelevant, or adversarial), or instruct the applicant not to answer a consular officer’s question.  Attendees may not interfere in any manner with the consular officer’s ability to conduct all inquiries and fact-finding necessary to exercise his or her responsibilities to adjudicate the application.
  • During a passport or CRBA appointment interview, attendees may not discuss or inquire about other applications.
  • Attendees may take written notes but may not otherwise record the appointment interviews.
  • Attendees may not engage in any other conduct that materially disrupts the appointment interview.  For example, they may not yell at or otherwise attempt to intimidate or abuse a consular officer or staff, and they may not engage in any conduct that threatens U.S. national security or the security of the embassy or its personnel.  Attendees must follow all security policies of the Department of State and the U.S. embassy or consulate where the appointment interview takes place.
  • Attendees may not engage in any conduct that violates this policy and/or otherwise materially disrupts the appointment interview.  Failure to observe these parameters will result in a warning to the attendee and, if ignored, the attendee may be asked to leave the appointment interview and/or the premises, as appropriate.  It would then be the applicant’s choice whether to continue the appointment interview without the attendee present, subject to the consular officer’s discretion to terminate the appointment interview.  The safety and privacy of all applicants awaiting consular services, as well as of consular and embassy personnel, is of paramount consideration.

To request a U.S. Passport and/or Notary appointment at the U.S. Consulate General in Karachi, please use the Consulate’s online appointment system.

To request a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) appointment at the U.S. Consulate General in Karachi, please use our ACS Karachi Navigator.


Special Citizen Services:

The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service to allow U.S. citizens and nationals traveling and living abroad to enroll their trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate and receive important information about safety conditions in your destination country, helping you make informed decisions about your travel plans.

For more information click here:  Smart Traveler Enrollment Program

Pakistan and the United States are treaty partners under the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (Hague Abduction Convention).

The State Department has no higher priority than to safeguard the welfare of U.S. citizens abroad, the most vulnerable of whom are children.  We believe that courts in children’s habitual residences are best placed to make custody determinations and therefore it is our priority to return children who have been abducted to or wrongfully retained in countries outside their countries of habitual residence are returned to their home countries. Learn More

While traveling or residing in Pakistan, U.S. citizens are required to abide by Pakistani laws. If a U.S. citizen violates Pakistani law, they are subject to prosecution under Pakistani law.

What the American Citizens Services (ACS) Unit Can and Cannot Do

If a U.S. citizen is arrested in Pakistan, the ACS unit can only help in specific ways. The ACS unit cannot get a U.S. citizen out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting a U.S. citizen after release from jail, or interfere in civil or criminal proceedings.  A U.S. passport does not entitle anyone to any special privileges.

After an arrest, the ACS unit can: (1) make sure the arrested person is given the same rights and privileges guaranteed under Pakistani law as they apply to Pakistani nationals; (2) make sure the arrested person knows the charges against them and is given reasonably prompt opportunity for defense; and (3) make sure the arrested person is not mistreated in jail or while out on bail.

An official from the Consulate will visit an arrested U.S. citizen to verify their well-being, communicate with family members, and assist them in finding legal representation. (Note:  All costs for attorneys are the responsibility of the U.S. citizen.)

The Pakistani government is obliged to notify an arrestee without delay of their right to communicate with a U.S. consular officer and promptly to inform the nearest U.S. government representative when a U.S. citizen is arrested.  In practice, however, this does not always happen.

Contact the Embassy or Consulate

If you are aware of a U.S. citizen that has been arrested in Pakistan, please contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate at following numbers:

Islamabad: (+92) (51) 201-4000 or 5000
Lahore: (+92) (42) 3603-4000
Karachi: (+92) (21) 3527-5000
From the United States: 1-888-407-4747

To call the Pakistani police, dial 15.

If a U.S. citizen passes away while in Sindh or Balochistan, American Citizens Services (ACS) can act as a liaison in arranging the disposition of remains and help forward any personal effects if there is no one in Pakistan to do so.  The family or legal representative must pay all funeral home charges, shipping costs for the remains and personal effects (if applicable). We will work with any funeral home selected by the family to ensure proper documentation for shipment of remains to the United States.

Even if no assistance is needed in making funeral arrangements, the death of a U.S. citizen, whether resident or tourist, should be reported to U.S. Consulate General Karachi so a Consular Report of Death Abroad (CRoDA) can be issued.  This report is similar to a death certificate.  It is necessary to settle legal and estate matters in the United States.  The report is official and written in English.

ACS can issue up to 20 copies of the CRoDA, which is usually sufficient in number to settle matters in the United States.

Requirements for the Consular Report of Death Abroad

The U.S. Consulate will issue the CRoDA when the following documents are provided:

  • Original death certificate from local authorities.
  • Doctor’s report with cause of death listed.
  • Original passport of the deceased. Please be aware that a consular officer is required to cancel the deceased’s passport before the Consular Report of Death Abroad can be released.

Disposition of Remains

U.S. Consulate General Karachi can communicate with the next of kin and communicate their wishes about the disposition of remains to the local authorities. Please note that:

  • Pakistani regulations require that a deceased person must be cremated, buried, or embalmed within 72 hours of death. Embalmed remains can be held in cold storage until instructions are received from the next of kin about disposition of the remains.
  • The Consulate will assist in arranging documentation for remains to be shipped to the United States and will assist with preparations according to the direction of the legal next of kin.  All costs are the responsibility of the next of kin.
  • Please bear in mind mortuary and embalming services are limited in Pakistan, and not always up to U.S. standards. The U.S. government does not provide funding to help with shipping remains or other costs associated with funeral arrangements.

For more information, please email the ACS unit in Karachi.

Funeral Homes:

The U.S. Consulate General in Karachi assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the following persons or firms.  Names are listed alphabetically, and the order in which they appear has no other significance.  Professional credentials and areas of expertise are provided directly by the funeral directors, morticians and other service providers. 

Yousuf & Company
Opp. Camp General Store
Bohri Bazar, Shop No. 222
Saddar, Karachi

The following documents are needed to ship remains out of Pakistan:

  1. An authority letter indicating the responsibility for paying the appropriate charges
  2. A Consular Report of Death Abroad
  3. An Area Police certificate No-Objection Certificate (NOC)
  4. A U.S. Consulate General NOC
  5. A notarized copy of the deceased U.S. Passport bio page

If you are concerned about the welfare of a U.S. citizen friend or family member in Pakistan, or if you need to contact them in an emergency, the ACS unit can help.

If you would like the ACS unit to check on the welfare or whereabouts of an U.S. citizen in Pakistan, please contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or consulate and ask for the duty officer:

Islamabad: (+92) (51) 201-4000 or (+92) (51) 201-5000
Lahore: (+92) (42) 3603-4000
Karachi: (+92) (21) 3527-5000
From the United States: 1-888-407-4747

To call the Pakistani police, dial 15.

We strongly encourage all U.S. citizens abroad to sign up for security updates and travel information.  It is a free service that keeps you informed in emergencies. Sign up here.

If you or another U.S. citizen has been a victim of crime while in Pakistan, please contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or consulate and ask for the duty officer:

Islamabad: (+92) (51) 201-4000 or (+92) (51) 201-5000
Lahore: (+92) (42) 3603-4000
Karachi: (+92) (21) 3527-5000
From the United States: 1-888-407-4747

To call the Pakistani police, dial 15.

You should file and request a copy of a local police report, called a First Information Report (FIR), as soon as possible.  You should request the FIR from the police station closest to the scene of the crime.

If a U.S. citizen’s money has been lost or stolen in Pakistan, the Embassy/Consulate can help transfer funds from friends or relatives in the United States.  If you need help in transferring funds to an U.S. citizen in Pakistan, please call the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in their area:

Islamabad: (+92) (51) 201-4000 or (+92) (51) 201-5000
Lahore: (+92) (42) 3603-4000
Karachi: (+92) (21) 3527-5000
From the United States: 1-888-407-4747

To call the Pakistani police, dial 15.

With limited exceptions, there are no U.S. government funds available to assist U.S. citizens abroad who are temporarily without money; therefore, individuals are asked to contact their family members, friends, or their employers regarding their financial needs.  In emergency cases, where local banking facilities are not available, funds from the United States can be transmitted through the State Department.  The family member, friend, or employer can send money through Western Union to the Department of State’s Office of Overseas Citizens Services.  Instructions should be given to the Department of State to forward the money to the U.S. Embassy or Consulates in Pakistan.  Upon receipt of a cable from the Department of State, the U.S. Embassy or Consulate will make partial or full payment in U.S. dollars or local currency as soon as possible.

Sending Money to U.S. Citizens Overseas

8AM – 8PM weekdays


When a U.S. citizen encounters an emergency financial situation abroad, the Department of State’s Office of Overseas Citizens Services (OCS) can establish a trust account in the citizen’s name to forward funds overseas.  Upon receipt of funds, OCS will transfer the money to the appropriate U.S. Embassy or Consulate for disbursement to the recipient.  The recipient must contact the Embassy or Consulate directly to arrange receipt.  The fee for establishing a trust account is $30.  The recipient’s name and overseas location (city, country) must be provided with the fund transfer, or the transfer will be delayed.  The Embassy or Consulate normally disburses funds in the foreign country’s currency and not in U.S. dollars.  Trust fund transfers are a one time service, except in specific, pre-approved circumstances.  Funds sent during non-business hours may not be processed until the next business day.  Questions can be directed to OCS at 1-888-407-4747.

There are three methods of transmitting funds to OCS for transfer overseas:

WESTERN UNION:  Funds sent via Western Union are generally processed and available for disbursement overseas within 24 hours during the business week.  This is usually the fastest method of sending funds to OCS.   Funds can be sent one of three ways.  (1) call Western Union’s Quick Collect© service at 1-800-634-3422, (2) log onto, or (3) visit a Western Union agent location.  In most cases, funds sent via Western Union arrive at OCS within 30 minutes.

  1. Call Western Union’s Quick Collect©:
    • You will need a MasterCard, or Visa credit card to authorize a Western Union fund transfer by phone
    • You will be asked for a “code city,” which is ”OVERSEASEMERGENCY, DC.”
    • You will be asked for a “Pay To” name which is “Department of State.”
    • You will be asked for an account number: please use your phone number.
    • Tell the operator to put the name and location of the citizen you are sending money to in the reference field to avoid a delay in the fund transfer.
  2. On the Internet, only MasterCard and Visa are accepted:
    • Click on MAKE PAYMENT
    • Choose your payment type and biller:  “Other Billers”
    • Select Code City “”OVERSEAS CITIZEN SERVICES.”
    • Follow the prompts to register
    • Some States place restrictions on the use of QuickCollect© by phone or the Internet.  Western Union can inform you of the States with these restrictions.
  3. Go in Person, with cash, to any Western Union agent location.  This is the least expensive Western Union method of sending money.  To find the closest location, call 1-800-325-6000.  You will need to complete a blue payment form which will ask for the same information requested above.   The State Department’s $30 processing fee must be included in the total amount sent by Western Union.  Failure to include the fee will result in the money being deducted from the amount intended for the U.S. citizen recipient.  Note Western Union also charges an additional fee for its services.

BANKWIRE:  can take up to 7 days to process a transaction.  Tell your bank that you want to transfer the desired amount, plus the $30 processing fee, to Bank of America, Department of State Branch, 2201 C St. NW, Washington, D.C. 20520 at 202-624-4750, via ABA Number: 114000653; Account Number: 7476363838; Account Name: PUPID State Department. Include the recipient’s full name and overseas location, and your name, address, and telephone number.  Bank of America forwards the funds to OCS.  Failure to include the processing fee will result in the money being deducted from the amount intended for the U.S. citizen.  Bank of America charges for this service.

U.S. MAIL OR COURIER SERVICE: send a cashiers check or money order ONLY (personal checks and cash cannot be accepted) for the desired amount, plus the $30 processing fee, made payable to Department of State, to:   Overseas Citizen Services, Department of State, SA-29, 4th Floor, 2201 C St. NW, Washington, D.C. 20520.  Include the recipient’s full name, their overseas location, and your name, address, and telephone number.  Failure to include the fee will result in the money being deducted from the amount intended for the U.S. citizen.  Delivery of overnight/courier mail to OCS may take 3 to 4 days.  Regular mail can take 3 to 4 weeks to reach OCS due to on-going irradiation procedures. We strongly discourage this

To review recent emergency messages for U.S. citizens in Pakistan, please click here: Security and Emergency Messages.

Federal Programs:

For information regarding Internal Revenue Services, please visit:

The Form 8938 (Statement of Specified Foreign Financial Assets) should be filed by taxpayers with specific types and amounts of foreign financial assets or foreign accounts.  It is important for taxpayers to determine whether they are subject to this new requirement because the law imposes significant penalties for failing to comply. Form 8938, the instructions, regulations implementing this new foreign asset report, and other information to help taxpayers determine if they are required to file Form 8938 is available on the web.

There are many private accountants and others who may offer tax information which may or may not be reliable.  Neither the U.S. Embassy nor the U.S. Consulate General maintain a list of accountants nor can we endorse or recommend any particular person or agency who may offer such services.

Information for Individuals

Under FATCA, U.S. taxpayers with specified foreign financial assets that exceed certain thresholds must report those assets to the IRS. This reporting is made on Form 8938, which taxpayers attach to their individual federal income tax return. To help individuals understand how FATCA may impact their filing and reporting responsibilities, they have redesigned the IRS website and made it easier to navigate. The main page for individuals is found here.

From this main page, the user may click on additional hot links, depending on the topic. For example, there is a chart available (linked from this main page via a hot link) which describes types of foreign assets which may be reportable under the FATCA rules. On the right side of this main page under the heading “Summary of Form 8938 Requirements” is another hot link to a document titled “Summary of FATCA Reporting for U.S. Taxpayers.” This document provides the best summary of the filing and reporting responsibilities for individuals.

Information for Foreign Financial Institutions

FATCA will require foreign financial institutions to report directly to the IRS information about financial accounts held by U.S. taxpayers, or held by foreign entities in which U.S. taxpayers hold a substantial ownership interest. Foreign Financial Institutions looking for information on this topic may visit the IRS website.

From this main page, the user may click on several hot links to find specific information related to FATCA regulations and guidance, the registration process, and schema requirements.

Combating Fraud, Waste and Abuse in Federal Tax Administration

The Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration (TIGTA) is responsible for oversight of IRS activities and for maintaining integrity in the U.S. Federal tax system. Fraud, waste, and abuse in Federal tax administration are unfair to all U.S. taxpayers and can take a variety of forms. TIGTA’s oversight includes targeted audits, programmatic inspections and evaluations, and both criminal and administrative investigations of potential fraud, waste, and abuse. Examples include: Attempts by taxpayers to bribe IRS personnel; Assaults or threats by taxpayers against IRS employees or facilities; Theft of IRS tax remittances; Impersonation of the IRS organization or IRS personnel in schemes involving the Internet or the mail to obtain personal financial information; IRS employees who misuse their position for personal gain; Outside contractors defrauding the IRS through false claims, deceptive contract methods, and other fraud; Circumstances that could impede or hinder compliance with Federal tax laws and regulations; and, Apparent abuses of taxpayer protection and rights.

Please report any information you have related to potential fraud, waste, and abuse to the TIGTA Hotline.

The Selective Service System is an independent federal agency.  It exists to serve the emergency manpower needs of the U.S. Military by conscripting untrained manpower or personnel with professional health care skills.  Selective Service registration is required by law as the first part of a fair and equitable system that, if authorized by the President and Congress, would rapidly provide personnel to the Department of Defense while at the same time providing for an Alternative Service Program for conscientious objectors. By registering, a young man remains eligible for jobs, state-based student aid in 31 states, Federally-funded job training, and U.S. citizenship for immigrant men.

U.S. embassies and consulates abroad assist the Selective Service System with its registration program abroad.  Overseas registrants are encouraged to register with the Selective Service website On-Line Registration.  Current brochures and guidance are also available on the Selective Service website.

Where on-line registration is not available overseas, registrants may obtain a registration form or receive additional information directly from the Selective Service System by emailing



If you reside in Pakistan and have questions regarding services provided by the Social Security Administration (SSA), you must contact the SSA Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) located in the Philippines.

The Social Security Administration’s Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) in Manila, Philippines provides a wide range of services for federal benefits. To receive assistance, please contact the FBU via their Online Inquiry Form. You may also contact the FBU by mail, phone or fax.

MAIL: Social Security Administration
U.S. Embassy – Manila
1201 Roxas Boulevard, Ermita
Manila, Philippines 0930

PHONE: +632-5301-2000 (Option 9), from 8:00 – 11:00 a.m. (Manila Time) every Tuesday and Thursday, except on U.S. and Philippine Holidays

FAX: +632-8708-9714

For additional information, please visit the FBU’s website at

For comprehensive information on SSA’s services abroad, please visit SSA’s webpage Service Around the World.

Service members, Veterans, and their beneficiaries can apply for benefits services on the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) website at  The Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) can also be of assistance if Veterans and beneficiaries have questions about benefits and services.

Absentee Voting Information for U.S. Citizens Abroad

If you want to be able to vote while you are outside the United States, you should send a completed Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) to your local election officials every year. It’s easy to do – just go to, the official U.S. Government website for overseas absentee voting information, to start the process.

We strongly recommend you get in the habit of submitting a new FPCA every January to ensure you receive ballots for all the elections in which you are eligible to vote during the calendar year. In addition to the November general elections held every other year, you may be eligible to vote in federal or state primary elections, special elections, emergency elections, and runoff elections.

Absentee Voting Basics

Absentee voting is a simple four or five step process.

  • You send in a completed FPCA to your local election officials
  • They confirm your eligibility to vote, and put your name on a list to receive absentee ballots
  • They send you a blank absentee ballot by mail and make it available electronically
  • You complete the ballot and send it back before the ballot receipt deadline
  • If your ballot fails to arrive, use the emergency federal write-in ballot to vote

Absentee Ballot Request

To vote from abroad, you have to register to vote with local election officials in your state of legal (voting) residence, AND every year you should ask to receive absentee ballots. You can use one form to do both – the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA). Submit a new FPCA every time you move, change your address, change your e-mail, or change your name.

To complete and address the form, go to either the FVAP or the Overseas Vote Foundation websites, where an online assistant walks you through the process. You can also pick up an FPCA and a copy of your state’s requirements from any U.S. embassy or consulate, or from the Citizen Voter page.

Your state may allow you to submit your FPCA via mail, fax, or e-mail. (See Voting and Returning Your Ballot below for options.) Consult the online FVAP Voting Assistance Guide for your state’s current requirements. If you need help completing or submitting the form, contact the voting assistance officer at the closest U.S. embassy or consulate, or check additional resources available on the Federal Voting Assistance Program website.

Receiving Your Blank Absentee Ballot

The law now requires states to send ballots to overseas citizens 45 days before the general election, except under emergency circumstances. The timeframe for mailing out ballots for other elections is shorter. The law also requires states to make your blank ballots available electronically either by fax, e-mail, or internet download. On the FPCA, there is space for you to let local officials know how you would like to receive your ballots. Depending on your state and your status abroad, you may receive absentee ballots for all elections, or just ballots for elections for federal offices only.

Voting and Returning Your Ballot

Complete your ballot carefully and legibly, and return it to your local election officials before your state’s ballot receipt deadline. Overseas voters have a number of options for returning voted ballots:

  • Local mail – If you live in an area with efficient mail service to the United States, you can affix sufficient international postage to your ballot envelope and mail it promptly.
  • U.S. Consulate General Karachi – Official election ballot envelopes that bear postage-paid markings can be returned via U.S. diplomatic pouch free of charge at the U.S. Consulate General in Karachi.  You can also print out and use an envelope with postage-paid markings that is available on the FVAP web site.  You can drop off your sealed ballot at Gate # 3 of the Consulate General during business hours from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.  An appointment is not required.  Be sure to carry your U.S. passport or a valid photo identification for security purposes.  It can take several weeks for mail to reach its destination when sent via diplomatic pouch.  Please contact the ACS unit if you have additional questions.
  • Fax, E-mail, or Internet – A number of states now allow the return of voted ballots via electronic means. Consult the Federal Voting Assistance Program’s Voting Assistance Guide for electronic transmission options for your state.
  • Express Courier Service – If time is short or local mail is unreliable, you can use professional courier services such as FedEx, DHL, or UPS. Check the Overseas Vote Foundation website for information about reduced rates for voters. NOTE: FedEx does not deliver to P.O. boxes.

Using an Emergency Write-In Ballot

Don’t be a passive voter and wait for a ballot that may not reach you in time. If you followed all the right steps but still haven’t received your ballot 30 days before the election, you should complete and submit a Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot (FWAB). Contact the Voting Assistance Officer at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate for help, or download the FWAB here, write in the candidates of your choice, and send it to your local election officials. If your regular absentee ballot arrives later, fill it out and mail it back too. Your FWAB will be counted only if your regular ballot doesn’t reach your local election officials by your state’s ballot receipt deadline. Proper submission of both ballots will not invalidate your vote or result in two votes being cast.

Voting Eligibility

Most U.S. citizens 18 years or older who reside outside the United States are eligible to vote absentee for candidates for federal offices in U.S. primary and general elections. In addition, some states allow overseas citizens to vote for candidates for state and local offices, as well as for state and local referendums. For information regarding your specific state, visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program’s Voting Assistance Guide or the Overseas Vote Foundation website. The Overseas Vote Foundation is a non-partisan voter advocacy organization.

Each U.S. state has its own voting eligibility and residency requirements. Visit the FVAP website for information regarding your state of legal residence. For voting purposes, your state of legal residence is generally the state where you resided in immediately before leaving the United States, even if you no longer own or rent property or intend to return there in the future. Eighteen states specifically allow U.S. citizens who have never resided in the United States to register where a parent would be eligible to vote. Direct your questions about eligibility to your local election officials.

Role of Local Election Officials

All elections in the United States are run at the state and local level. Local election officials in your state of legal (voting) residence receive your FPCA and verify your eligibility to register/vote in that locality. If they have questions about your form or your eligibility to vote using the U.S. address you’ve provided, they’ll e-mail you. It’s smart to send in your form early (ideally, at the beginning of the calendar year, or least forty-five days before the election) to provide time to process your request and resolve any problems. Once approved, your name will be put on a list of voters to receive absentee ballots.

Verifying Your Registration

Many states now have websites where you can verify your registration. If you are unsure of your voter registration status, or want to confirm that local officials have received and approved your registration, check the FVAP website or the Voting Assistance Guide. You can also call or write your local election officials directly.

Be an Educated Voter

Check out the FVAP links page for helpful resources that will aid your research of candidates and issues you care about. Non-partisan information about candidates, their voting records, and their positions on issues is widely available and easy to obtain via numerous websites such as Project Smart Voter. You can also read national and hometown newspapers on-line or search the Internet to locate articles and information. For information about election dates and deadlines, subscribe to FVAP’s Voting Alerts. FVAP also shares Voting Alerts via Facebook and Twitter.

Voting and Taxes

Voting for candidates for federal offices does not affect your federal or state tax liability. Voting for candidates for state or local offices could affect your state tax liability. Consult legal counsel if you have questions.

Summary of Recent Changes to Absentee Voting

New legislation eliminated a requirement for states to send out absentee ballots for successive election cycles based on a single request. To be assured that your request for absentee ballots is current, FVAP urges voters to submit new FPCAs every year. Beginning with the November 2010 general elections, states, and territories are now required to send ballots to overseas citizens 45 days before an election except under emergency circumstances. They are also required to make your blank ballot available electronically either by fax, e-mail, or internet download.

Local Resources:

Please note: The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the entities or individuals whose names appear on the following lists. Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsement by the Department or the U.S. government. Names are listed alphabetically, and the order in which they appear has no other significance. The information on the list is provided directly by the local service providers; the Department is not in a position to vouch for such information.

List of Doctors and Hospitals in the Karachi Consular District

This list includes details for medical providers in the Karachi Consular District which includes Sindh and Balochistan.  Separate lists for other areas in Pakistan are maintained by the U.S. Embassy, Islamabad and U.S. Consulate General, Lahore.

Consulting With An Attorney In Pakistan

The U.S. Embassy or Consulate General cannot represent U.S. citizens in court nor provide legal counsel.  Instead, you may wish to consult with an attorney in Pakistan, who can provide advice on your options and remedies within the Pakistani legal system.

U.S. Consulate General in Karachi assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the following persons or firms.  Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsement by the Department of State or the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Names are listed alphabetically, and the order in which they appear has no other significance. The information in the list on professional credentials, areas of expertise and language ability are provided directly by the lawyers. You may receive additional information about the individuals by contacting the local bar association (or its equivalent) or the local licensing authorities.

The U.S. Embassy and U.S. Consulates in Pakistan will be closed on the following days.

New Year’s Day December 31, 2021* Friday U.S.
Martin Luther King Jr. Birthday January 17 Monday U.S.
Kashmir Day February 5 Saturday Pakistan
Washington’s Birthday February 21 Monday U.S.
Pakistan Day March 23 Wednesday Pakistan
Labor Day May 1 Sunday Pakistan
Eid ul Fitr May 3-5 ** Tuesday-Thursday Pakistan
Memorial Day May 30 Monday U.S.
Juneteenth June 20 Monday U.S.
Independence Day July 4 Monday U.S.
Eid ul Azha July 10-11 ** Sunday-Monday Pakistan
Ashura August 8-9 ** Monday-Tuesday Pakistan
Pakistan Independence Day August 14 Sunday Pakistan
Labor Day September 5 Monday U.S.
Eid Milad un Nabi October 9** Sunday Pakistan
Columbus Day October 10 Monday U.S.
Veteran’s Day November 11 Friday U.S.
Thanksgiving Day November 24 Thursday U.S.
Christmas Day December 26 *** Monday U.S.


*January 1, 2022 (the legal public holiday for New Year’s Day), falls on a Saturday.  For Federal employees, Friday, December 31, 2021, will be treated as a holiday for pay and leave purposes.

** Holidays based on the lunar calendar are subject to the appearance of the moon and may vary from the scheduled dates.  Exact dates will be determined and announced based on the decision of the Pakistani Government.

***December 25, 2022 (the legal public holiday for Christmas Day), falls on a Sunday.  For most Federal employees, Monday, December 26, will be treated as a holiday for pay and leave purposes.

ACS never requires an appointment for emergencies. 

If you feel your life is in danger, please first contact the police (by dialing the helpline: 15) or a hospital (Hospital List) before contacting the U.S. Consulate General. 

Additional resources helpful in emergency situations can be found at the U.S. Department of State’s official “Travel.State.Gov Emergencies” page which provides a wealth of information on Emergencies Abroad, such as: Victims of Crime, Arrest and Detention, Missing Persons, Contacting Loved Ones, Parental Child Abductions, Death Abroad, Natural Disasters, and the State Department’s Role in a Crisis.


The American Citizens Services Unit does not provide fingerprinting services.

If you are requesting fingerprinting services in conjunction with a U.S. visa, please click here

If you are requesting fingerprinting services in conjunction with another purpose, please work with your requesting institution, the Pakistani local police department, and/or the U.S. law enforcement agency to process the fingerprinting request.

Contact Information

Looking for assistance from American Citizen Services (ACS)? Our ACS Navigator will help you find resources, information, and services offered by the U.S. Mission Pakistan. Select the correct ACS Navigator for your consular district here:

CRBA Appointment Procedure for Islamabad and Karachi: Please be advised that CRBA appointments for Islamabad & Karachi can only be obtained using the ACS Islamabad Navigator & ACS Karachi Navigator. For all other routine appointments use the regular appointment calendar.