Health Alert – U. S. Embassy Islamabad, Pakistan (April 9, 2020)
Location: Pakistan (country-wide)
Event: Update #17 – U.S. government charter flights from Karachi and Islamabad
As of 2:00 p.m. Pakistan Standard Time, April 9, the three flights chartered by the U.S. government this weekend from Karachi and Islamabad are now full. Staff at the U.S. Mission in Pakistan made more than a thousand phone calls to help get U.S. citizens home.
Unfortunately, we received more requests than we could accommodate, so not everyone who expressed interest will be able to travel. We prioritized seats for those most at risk for COVID-19 complications based on CDC-defined criteria and Department of State guidance.
For passengers confirmed on the flights this weekend:
- You should have received an email with the full details of the flight and required documentation.
- Review the information and complete the promissory note BEFORE coming to the airport.
- Adhere to the strict baggage allowance.
- If you have a confirmed seat and do not show up or decide to cancel at the last minute, please be prepared to remain in Pakistan.
For U.S. citizens still in Pakistan who still want to return to the United States:
- Ensure you are enrolled in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts and updates on flight availability. Check your email often.
- If you are in Pakistan and want to return to the United States, ensure you have completed the TRAVELER INTEREST FORM. If you have already submitted this form, do NOT resubmit. We have your information; duplicate information will delay us contacting you.
- As of April 9, we have no future U.S. government charter flights planned. If we can offer additional charter flights, U.S. citizens should be prepared to depart on short notice and with limited baggage. If we are able to offer you a seat on a U.S. government charter flight, and you decline, please be prepared to remain in Pakistan indefinitely.
- Lawful Permanent Residents can express interest to return to the United States, but U.S. citizens are given priority on U.S. government charter flights.
Actions to Take:
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts and updates.
- Seek medical care right away if you believe you may have COVID-19.
- Review the CDC’s latest recommendations to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19.
- Monitor flight availability.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Pakistan.
U.S. Consulate General Karachi
+(92)(21) 3527 5000
U.S. Consulate General Lahore
+(92)(42) 3603 4000
U.S. Consulate Peshawar
+(92)(91) 526 8800
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates