Health Health Alert – U. S. Embassy Islamabad, Pakistan (May 8, 2020)
Location: Pakistan (country-wide)
Event: Update #39 – Ease of Lockdown Restrictions
The Government of Pakistan announced an ease in some lockdown restrictions beginning May 9.
As of May 9, small shops and markets are allowed to operate Monday to Friday until 5:00 p.m. On Saturday and Sunday all businesses are to remain closed except for grocery stores and pharmacies. Hospital outpatient services are permitted, with limited hours of operation.
Public transportation to include domestic flights and rail services remain suspended. International flights remain suspended until May 15. Shopping malls and other social gathering places are not permitted to re-open. Education institutions will remain closed until July 15.
The United States Embassy and Consulates General in Pakistan remain closed for routine services for U.S. citizens. Visa services remain suspended, as well. We will resume routine services as soon as possible but are unable to provide a specific date at this time.
For Services to U.S. Citizens
- We continue to provide emergency consular services to U.S. citizens. To schedule an emergency appointment, applicants must first contact the preferred consular section by email to discuss the nature of their emergency. Contact information is available on our website and at the bottom of this message. If the emergency appointment is approved, applicants will receive an email confirmation with further instructions.
- Processing of passports and Consular Reports of Birth Abroad are considered routine services. However, if you require an emergency passport and have confirmed travel plans to depart Pakistan, please contact us via email to schedule an appointment and be prepared to provide confirmed travel plans. Notarial services are also considered routine services.
We realize there are many U.S. citizens who are unable to depart Pakistan because of the suspension of international flights. While the U.S. Mission to Pakistan does not have plans to arrange additional charter flights, both Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) and Qatar Airways have organized flights to the United Kingdom and Doha to connect to U.S. cities. U.S. citizens in Pakistan should continue to monitor commercial flight availability. Information obtained by the U.S. Mission to Pakistan regarding commercial flights will be disseminated via our Smart Travel Enrollment Program.
For U.S. citizens in Pakistan, please stay healthy! We urge everyone to review the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidance on how to protect yourself and others to slow the spread of COVID-19.
Actions to Take:
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive future alerts and updates.
- Seek medical care right away if you believe you may have COVID-19.
- Monitor commercial flight availability.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- Review the Embassy’s webpage on COVID-19 for Pakistan specific information.
- Visit the Department of State’s COVID-19 information page for the latest information.
U.S. Consulate General Karachi
+(92)(21) 3527 5000
U.S. Consulate General Lahore
+(92)(42) 3603 4000
U.S. Consulate Peshawar
+(92)(91) 526 8800
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates