News media are reporting that the opposition Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI) and ruling Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) parties will hold campaign rallies in advance of the October 11 National Assembly seat election in Lahore. PTI will hold at least one rally on October 9, but both parties could plan rallies on other days. We expect the rallies will center around the Samanabad area, but the location may change without warning. Please follow local media reports as we approach October 11. We remind U.S. citizens that even rallies intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Avoid areas where rallies and demonstrations are taking place and exercise caution when in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
U.S. citizens are reminded that there is an active Travel Warning for Pakistan, issued on August 28, 2015. Consular services at the U.S. Consulate General in Lahore remain temporarily suspended. U.S. citizens are urged to avoid all non-essential travel to Pakistan. The Embassy reminds those U.S. citizens remaining in Pakistan, or considering travelling to Pakistan, to closely review the Travel Warning and to closely monitor media reports of the current security situation. U.S. citizens should exercise caution when traveling in the country, keeping in mind the high security threat level. Travelers are urged to vary their times and routes when traveling anywhere in Pakistan, and to avoid travel patterns to any such locations that might allow other persons to predict when and where they will be. U.S. Citizens are advised to verify that travel documents, visas, and residency documents remain valid.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Pakistan Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Pakistan, located at Diplomatic Enclave, Ramna 5, Islamabad, Pakistan, by phone at (+92) (51) 208-0000 Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m.– 4:30 p.m., or by email at ACSIslamabad@state.gov. For After-Hours Emergencies, call 051 208-0000 within Pakistan. Contact the U.S. Consulate General in Karachi, located at Plot 3, 4, 5, New TPX Area Mai Kolachi Road, Karachi, by email at ACSKarachi@state.gov, or by phone at (+92) (21) 3527-5000, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. For After-Hours Emergencies involving U.S. citizens in Sindh or Balochistan, call 021 3527-5000 within Pakistan.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.