Event: Terrorist attack in Peshawar
Following the January 30 terrorist attack on a mosque in Peshawar, U.S. citizens are reminded that planned attacks and criminal activity often occur in crowded public locations such as markets, shopping malls, hotels, airports, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, transportation hubs, traffic backups, schools, and other areas where people tend to gather. Public events, such as demonstrations and celebratory gatherings, are also at a higher risk for violence. Pakistan’s security-risk environment remains fluid and subject to change without warning.
In addition, Pakistani security services have increased their presence and operations in and around the Diplomatic Enclave and Red Zone amid continued heightened security measures throughout Islamabad and Pakistan’s other major cities. American citizens are reminded to continue exercising increased vigilance and to carry appropriate forms of communication and identification at all times. U.S. Embassy personnel have been asked to continue to refrain from non-essential, unofficial travel in Islamabad.
Actions to Take:
- Exercise vigilance at events and places of worship and avoid locations with large crowds.
- Review your personal security plans
- Carry identification and follow requests from law enforcement.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Vary routes and times.
- U.S. Embassy Islamabad, Pakistan
Contact: Islamabad or scan the QR code to access it from your phone.
- U.S. Consulate General, Karachi
+(92)(21) 3527 5000
Contact: Karachi or scan the QR code to access it from your phone.
- U.S. Consulate General, Lahore
+(92) (42) 3603 4000
Contact: Lahore or scan the QR code to access it from your phone.
- U.S. Consulate General, Peshawar
+(92) (91) 526 8800
- Contact:Peshawar or scan the QR code to access it from your phone.
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Pakistan Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter