Location: Karachi, Pakistan
Event: Local media report upcoming Chehlum processions for Monday, September 27 and Tuesday, September 28 throughout Pakistan. These events may result in increased security presence, traffic delays, street closures, and disruption of cell phone networks in Karachi. Due to the processions, the U.S. Consulate General Karachi will limit the travel of Consulate personnel throughout Karachi on those dates. The U.S. Consulate General reminds U.S. citizens to avoid large gatherings and unnecessary travel, and to remain vigilant of their surroundings.
Actions to Take:
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Always have your identity documents with you.
- Avoid areas of large public gatherings.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of a large gathering and/or demonstration.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
U.S. Consulate General, Karachi
+(92)(21) 3527 5000
U.S. Embassy Islamabad, Pakistan
U.S. Consulate General, Lahore
+(92) (42) 3603 4000
U.S. Consulate General, Peshawar
+(92) (91) 526 8800
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates