Event: As the upcoming New Year’s Eve celebration approaches, we remind U.S. citizens that the holiday is often associated with an increase in traffic restrictions, increased vehicular/pedestrian traffic, and a large security presence throughout Karachi. In addition, the custom of local “celebratory gunfire” to ring in the New Year takes place in and around the city. Multiple individuals are injured in accidents related to this practice every year.
Actions to Take:
- U.S. government personnel in Karachi are required to remain indoors between the hours of 11:00pm on December 31, 2019 and 5:00am on January 1, 2020 to limit exposure to celebratory gunfire. Consider following this same guidance.
- Avoid large crowds.
- Maintain a low profile.
- Exercise additional vigilance at holiday events and locations with large crowds.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Practice good personal security.
- Carry proper identification, including photocopies of the biographic page of your U.S. passport and current Pakistani visa or your original National Identity Card for Overseas Pakistanis (NICOP).
- U.S. Embassy Islamabad, Pakistan
- U.S. Consulate General Karachi
+(92)(21) 3527 5000
- U.S. Consulate General Lahore
+(92) (42) 3603 4000
- U.S. Consulate Peshawar
+(92) (91) 526 8800
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Review Pakistan Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
We wish a happy and safe holiday season to all.