Locations: Grand Trunk (GT) Road, Lahore Ring Road, Allama Iqbal International Airport
Event: In anticipation of political rallies, the Punjab Police will shut down those parts of the GT Road where it has access to Lahore City. Police will allow the travel of those who provide justification for needing to enter Lahore from GT Road access points. At Qazalbash Interchange, Punjab Police have an established check point where commuters will be allowed to enter Lahore coming from the M-2 motorway and GT Road, after verification of their credentials. Traffic coming from Kasur will be allowed into the city through Defense Road and Katcha Jail Road. Access to and from Allama Iqbal International Airport and the surrounding cantonment area will be severely restricted starting at 11:00am today. Containers are parked on the sides of all the Lahore Ring Road interchanges and Punjab Police have confirmed those containers will be put into place to block the Ring Road starting at 11:00 am today.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid GT Road, Lahore Ring Road, and the general airport vicinity.
- Avoid large gatherings and protests, and be alert to pop-up protests at any location throughout the city.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Avoid crowds.
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Carry proper identification, including a U.S. passport with a current Pakistani visa, or NICOP.
- U.S. Embassy Islamabad, Pakistan
- U.S. Consulate General Karachi
+(92)(21) 3527 5000
- U.S. Consulate General Lahore
+(92) (42) 3603 4000
- U.S. Consulate Peshawar
+(92) (91) 526 8800
- State Department– Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Pakistan Country Information
- Enroll in Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter