Location: Islamabad, Pakistan
Event: Large protests and demonstrations are occurring in and around Islamabad and throughout Punjab province, which has resulted in a closure of the Red Zone.
Police have placed containers at the roadside of important chokepoints, bridges, and crossroads. Police checkpoints have been established on inter-district highways across Punjab province.
Significant traffic delays and disruptions to transportation are in place and expected to continue. The U.S. Embassy strongly encourages U.S. citizens to avoid large gatherings, unnecessary travel, and remain vigilant of their surroundings.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of large public gatherings.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of a large gathering and/or demonstration.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Embassy Islamabad, Pakistan
- U.S. Consulate General, Karachi
+(92)(21) 3527 5000
- U.S. Consulate General, Lahore
+(92) (42) 3603 4000
- U.S. Consulate General, Peshawar
+(92) (91) 526 8800
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Pakistan Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter