Event: Pakistan has issued a Notice to Airmen announcing the closure of its commercial airspace until 11:59 p.m. on February 28, 2019. This temporary closure may be extended.
According to an active Travel Warning for Pakistan issued on August 1, 2018, U.S. citizens are urged to defer all non-essential travel to Pakistan. As stated in the Travel Warning, India and Pakistan maintain a strong military presence on both sides of the border and military forces from both countries periodically exchange fire across the Line of Control (LoC).
Due to recent military exchanges and increased tensions along the LoC, U.S. Government personnel are under an increased security posture with more restricted movements, including limits on travel to Pakistani military facilities. Additional restrictions on U.S. personnel movement may be put in place at any time.
Actions to Take:
- Stay in contact with air carriers and monitor local media regarding airport closures.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Have travel documents up-to-date and easily accessible.
- Carry proper identification, including a U.S. passport with a current Pakistani visa.
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- U.S. Embassy Islamabad, Pakistan
- U.S. Consulate General Karachi
+(92)(21) 3527 5000
- U.S. Consulate General Lahore
+(92) (42) 3603 4000
- U.S. Consulate Peshawar
+(92) (91) 526 8800