February 28, 2019
Event: Pakistan has issued an updated Notice to Airmen announcing the closure of its commercial airspace until 1:00 p.m. on March 1, 2019. This temporary closure may be extended.
According to an active Travel Advisory for Pakistan issued on February 13, 2019, U.S. citizens are urged to reconsider travel to Pakistan. As stated in the Travel Advisory, India and Pakistan maintain a strong military presence on both sides of the border and military forces from both countries periodically exchange fire across the Line of Control (LoC).
Due to recent military exchanges and increased tensions along the LoC, U.S. Government personnel are under an increased security posture with more restricted movements, including limits on travel to Pakistani military facilities. Additional restrictions on U.S. personnel movement may be put in place at any time.
Actions to Take:
- Stay in contact with air carriers and monitor local media regarding airport closures.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Have travel documents up-to-date and easily accessible.
- Carry proper identification, including a U.S. passport with a current Pakistani visa.
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- U.S. Embassy Islamabad, Pakistan
- U.S. Consulate General Karachi
+(92)(21) 3527 5000
- U.S. Consulate General Lahore
+(92) (42) 3603 4000
- U.S. Consulate Peshawar
+(92) (91) 526 8800
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Pakistan Country Information
- Enroll in Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter