Transmission of U.S. citizenship depends on:
- At least one parent having the nationality of the United States at the time of the child’s birth;
- The existence of a blood relationship between the child and U.S. citizen parent(s);
- Documentary evidence demonstrating the U.S. citizen parent(s)’ presence in the United States prior to the child’s birth, as specified in the Transmission Requirements Table below.
Examples of Documentation
Some examples of documentary evidence which may be considered to demonstrate that physical presence requirements have been met may include (but are not limited to):
- Wage and tax statements (W-2)
- Academic transcripts
- Employment records
- Rental receipts
- Records of honorable U.S. military service, employment with U.S. Government or certain intergovernmental international organizations; or as a dependent, unmarried child and member of the household of a parent in such service or employment (except where indicated).
- U.S. passport stamps may be considered a part of the evidence submitted, but should not be the sole documentary evidence. Drivers’ licenses do not constitute evidence of physical presence.
If you have other children who have been issued with a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, this may be considered as supplemental evidence. Please also read important information regarding Supporting Documents.
How to Apply (online application and payment)
- Create an account with MyTravelGov . MyTravelGov is a secure, encrypted portal. Watch this video to learn about creating your account.
- Once you create a MyTravelGov account, access eCRBA and submit your application online. The online process provides applicants with step-by-step instructions to complete the application.
- Review the required documents for the CRBA application using this checklist below.
- Schedule your CRBA Interview: After payment, please allow 72 hours between payment submission and CRBA interview appointment time to allow time for the payment to be processed. Once the payment is processed and you receive the confirmation, CRBA appointment for Lahore, Karachi and Islamabad can only be obtained using the ACS Islamabad Navigator , ACS Karachi Navigator and ACS Lahore Navigator .
- Attend your in-person interview appointment with your original documents and their single-sided photocopies. Original documents will be returned to you. The child must be present at interview appointment. Generally, both parents must attend the interview.
Other Important Information
A Social Security Number application can be submitted after receiving the original Consular Report of Birth Abroad and U.S. passport. To obtain a Social Security Number for your child, consult our Federal Benefits Unit page.