American citizens should exercise heightened caution in Gilgit-Baltistan due to recent protests in Skardu and Diamer and the potential for additional demonstrations, road closures, and associated disruptions to local mobile and internet networks in the region. Even large gatherings intended to be peaceful may become violent with little or no warning.
The U.S. Embassy strongly encourages U.S. citizens to avoid large gatherings, monitor local media reports, and to remain vigilant of their surroundings at all times
Actions to Take:
· Avoid the areas of large public gatherings.
· Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of a large gathering and/or demonstration.
· Review your personal security plans.
· Monitor local media for updates.
· Keep a low profile.
· Carry identification and cooperate with police.
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates