Congratulations on the birth of your child abroad!


  • You are a U.S. citizen parent(s).
  • Your biological child was born abroad.
  • Your child is under the age of 18 years; and
  • The U.S. citizen parent(s) meet the transmission requirements as outlined in the Table of Transmission Requirements.

You may apply for your child’s Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) before the child’s 18th birthday at the U.S. Mission in Pakistan.

Apply in Person

To apply for a CRBA at the U.S. Mission in Pakistan, the child’s biological parent(s), preferably the U.S. citizen parent must come to our office in person, with the child.  Either parent, including a non-U.S. citizen parent, may execute and sign this application.

Schedule an Appointment

In order to provide better services to our clients, we require an appointment for all routine services; including appointments for CRBA. DO NOT schedule an appointment until you have completed all forms and compiled the appropriate supporting evidence with the documents listed below.  If your application is incomplete you will be asked to reschedule.

Click here to make or cancel a CRBA appointment at the U.S. Mission in Pakistan.

For Islamabad: Allow at least 1 hour before your appointment time to take the Diplomatic Shuttle from 3rd Ave to the Embassy. A small fee applies

Information for persons over the age of 18 who are attempting to acquire citizenship through their U.S. citizen parent(s) as adults can be found on the Derivative U.S. Citizenship for Adults page. NOTE: Only biological children of Americans may qualify for a CRBA/Derivative U.S. Citizenship. Adoption of a child by an American citizen does not confer U.S. citizenship on the child.  However, adopted children may be eligible for citizenship through naturalization, pursuant to a lawful admission into the U.S. as a permanent resident. See our adoption information or the Department of State’s Child Citizenship Act of 2000 page for more information.

Requests for social security numbers may be submitted once your child’s CRBA and U.S. passport are ready.

We stand ready to assist you; however, the biggest obstacle to a quick completion of the CRBA application process is obtaining all of the necessary documents. If you do not bring the appropriate documentation, we will suspend processing of the application, and you may be required to schedule another appointment.

Please read the below information in preparation for your interview. Please prepare ALL the required documentation for the Consular Report of Birth Abroad, your child’s first U.S. passport.  These include:


  1. Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad(DS 2029).
  2. Application for U.S. Passport (DS-11)
  3. Form DS-3053 (If one parent is applying)


  1. Child’s original birth certificate issued by the hospital plus one photocopy;
  2. Child’s original birth certificate issued by the Local Government: (Cantonment Board/Union Council/CDA) plus one photocopy
  3. Child’s photographs: Please bring 2 recent color photographs, 2″x 2″, on white background with full front view. ‘Photo shopped’ photos will not be accepted;
  4. U.S. passport and/or Certificate of Naturalization of US citizen parent(s) or a certified copy* of either.
  5. Evidence of identity of non-US citizen parent(e.g., Pakistani passport, CNIC or any other Government issued ID);
  6. Parents’ original marriage certificate/Nikah Nama with notarized English translation with one photocopy of the original and the English translation;
  7. Original Divorce/Death Certificate and notarized English translation with one photocopy of the original and the certified translation. Rupee paper will not be accepted;
  8. U.S. Citizen parent’s Evidence of Physical Presence (examples of documentation include the list below – please bring ALL examples with you to the interview to provide conclusive proof of physical presence):
    • Wage and tax statements (W-2)
    • Rental leases
    • Official academic transcripts (from any level of school – elementary, middle or high school, vocational/trade, or college/university)
    • Professional licenses
    • Vaccination or other medical records
    • Property tax records
    • Utility bills
    • Employment records
    • U.S. passport stamps may be considered a part of the evidence submitted, but should not be the sole documentary evidence. Drivers’ licenses do not constitute evidence of physical presence.
    • Birth certificates for other U.S.-born children
    • If you have other children who have been issued with a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, this may be considered as supplemental evidence
    • *U.S. military service records, employment with U.S. Government or certain intergovernmental international organizations; or as a dependent, unmarried child and member of the household of a parent in such service or employment (except where indicated) – may count towards U.S. physical presence even if employed outside the United States

*Certified copies must be notarized by a US notary public or US consular officer. Pakistani notarial will not be accepted;


The total fee for both a CRBA and a U.S. passport is $235 (CRBA–$100 and passport–$135).

NOTE: You may be asked to provide additional documentation at the time of your interview. By regulation you will have 90 days to submit the requested documentation or the case will be closed for insufficient evidence to establish U.S. citizenship of the applicant. All fees are non-refundable.

If you are:

  1. 18 years of age or older, AND
  2. Born outside the United States to one or two U.S. citizen parents, AND
  3. Have never been documented as a U.S. citizen,

You may be eligible to apply for a U.S. passport.

To qualify for a U.S. passport, your U.S. citizen parent(s) must meet the transmission requirements outlined in the Table of Transmission Requirements.

You are required to bring 2 forms to the passport interview:


  • Form DS-11, Application for a U.S. Passport, AND
  • Form DS-5507, Affidavit of Parentage
    1. If the transmitting U.S. citizen parent is alive and in Pakistan, then he/she must accompany you at the day of your appointment. If he/she is not in Pakistan, then a DS-5507 executed before a U.S. notary along with a copy of the parent’s ID is acceptable.  If he/she is deceased, then you must present the death certificate.

In addition to the above 2 forms, you must also bring:

  • Hospital birth certificate plus one photocopy.
  • Birth certificate issued by NADRA/local government plus one photocopy.
  • Proof of parent’s marital status: Nikah Nama or marriage certificate. With one photocopy of the original and the English translation. If your parents were not married at the time of your birth, then proof of their relationship.
  • Proof of termination of previous marriage(s): If either of the parents were married prior to the current marriage, then a proof of termination of marriage is required.
  • Evidence of your parent(s)’ U.S. citizenship, such as:

U.S. Passport

Certificate of Naturalization

Certificate of Citizenship

U.S. Birth Certificate

Consular Report of Birth Abroad

  • Evidence of U.S. citizen parent’s physical presence in the United States prior to your birth
  • Credible and substantial evidence of blood relationship between you and your U.S. citizen parent(s) must be submitted with your application
  • Age progression photographs.
  • Two recent, identical, photographs, 2×2 inches (5 x 5 centimeters), in color, on a white background.
  • The fee for a first-time adult U.S. passport is $145.00 dollars. This fee is non- refundable.
  • NOTE: The consular officer may request additional documentation at the time of your interview.

It is the responsibility of the applicants to clearly substantiate a bona fide relationship between them and the U.S. Citizen parent(s) and/or among the applicant in Citizenship (CRBA & Passport) cases processed by the Consular Section of the American Embassy, Islamabad. In such cases, where applicants are unable to prove their claimed relationship(s) based on their interview with the consular officers and the documents presented, they are asked to consider DNA testing. Such testing analyzes the genetic material present in human cells and has been found to be over 99 percent accurate in verifying family relationships such as: parent/child, brother/sister, etc. The testing is entirely voluntary and is non-invasive and painless. The results are typically available within a month or so (varies by lab).

If you decide to submit to DNA testing, the petitioner in the U.S. should make arrangements for the test with any DNA laboratory in the U.S. that is accredited by the American Association of Blood Banks (AABB) and conducts buccal swab testing. A list of AABB-accredited parental testing labs is attached and can also be found at: American Association of Blood Banks (AABB).

Any Internet search engine can be used to look up the contact information for the individual labs. Please ensure, however, that the DNA laboratory you choose:

  1. Can process buccal swabs
  2. Is willing to process the testing for the relationship under question (not all tests are for paternity)
  3. Is willing to handle international shipments
  4. Will forward the buccal swab test kit to the Embassy in a pre-paid envelope

We will notify you when we receive the testing kit. All DNA samples for applications must be collected at the U.S. Embassy in Islamabad. The applying parent must request that the U.S. DNA testing lab send the DNA kit directly to U.S. Embassy Islamabad. After the DNA swab samples have been collected, we will send them to the U.S. lab requested by the petitioner. As soon as the lab sends the results to us, we will contact the applicants to continue their CRBA/Passport case.

Payment of the costs incurred for DNA testing is the responsibility of the petitioning relative in the United States. Prices for DNA testing vary by lab. Applicants must also pay Rs. 2000/- per person when they submit their swab samples in Pakistan (this fee goes directly to the local doctor who takes the samples).

If you have any questions regarding DNA testing, please view here.

NOTE: You will be given 90 days from the date of  written notification by the U.S. Embassy to participate in DNA testing. If you need additional time beyond 90 days, you may request additional time from American Citizens Services before the end of the initial 90 days period. If you cannot participate in DNA testing within 90 days or a reasonably permitted time thereafter as conveyed to you in writing by the U.S. Embassy, your case will be processed towards denial of your application.

Only Those Listed Below Are Authorized to Replace or Amend a Consular Report of Birth:

  • The individual whose birth is recorded on the document (if age 18 or older)
  • A parent (for minors under age 18) or legal guardian
  • An authorized government agency, or
  • A person with written authorization

On January 3, 2011, the Department of State began issuing a new Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240). You may request multiple copies of this document at any time. As of December 31, 2010 the Certificate of Report of Birth (DS-1350) is no longer issued. All previously issued FS-240 and DS-1350 documents are still valid for proof of identity, citizenship and other legal purposes.

All Consular Vital Records cost $50 per document.


To Replace a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240), You Must Submit:

  1. notarized written (or typed) request that includes all of the following information:
  • Full name of the child at birth
  • Any adoptive names of child
  • Child’s date and place of birth
  • Any available passport information
  • Full names of parents
  • If known, the serial number of the FS-240
  • Signature of requester
  • Legal Guardian(s) Only: A copy of the court order granting guardianship
  • Requester’s mailing address
  • Contact number of the requested

2. A copy of requester’svalid photo identification

  • State issued driver’s license
  • Non-driver photo ID
  • Military ID
  • Passport
  • Veterans Affairs ID
  • School ID
  • Prison ID

If you don’t have any of these IDs, please see Passport Vital Records IDs.

    3. Payment

      A $50.00 check or money order

Make payable to “Department of State”

The Department will not assume responsibility for cash lost in the mail.

4.Return Shipping Options

Consular Reports of Birth documents are printed and mailed off-site.

USPS First Class- 1-2 weeks. No additional cost.

USPS Overnight- Include an additional 20.66 with your request.

      Please do not include a pre-paid express mail envelope with your request. This will cause a delay in delivery.

  1. Mail to:

       Department of State
Passport Vital Records Section
44132 Mercure Cir.
PO Box 1213
Sterling, VA 20166-1213

The processing time for a replacement Consular Report of Birth is 4 to 6 weeks. 


To Amend a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240), You Must Submit:

  1. notarized written (or typed) request detailing the amendment or correction needed

2. Certified copies of documents justifying the amendment requested

Examples: foreign birth certificate, marriage certificate, court ordered adoption or name change, birth certificates of the adopting or legitimating parents, affidavits, etc.

 3. The original FS-240, or A replacement FS-240, or A notarized affidavit stating the whereabouts of the original FS-240

 4. A copy of requester’s valid photo identification

  • State issued driver’s license
  • Non-driver photo ID
  • Military ID
  • Passport
  • Veterans Affairs ID
  • School ID
  • Prison ID

      If you don’t have any of these IDs, please see Passport Vital Records IDs.

  1. Payment

A$50.00 check or money order

Make payable to“Department of State”

The Department will assume no responsibility for cash lost in the mail.

  1. Return Shipping Options

Consular Reports of Birth documents are printed and mailed off site.

USPS First Class- 1-2 weeks – $0.00

UPS Overnight- Include an additional $20.66 with your request.

  1. Mail to:

       Department of State
Passport Vital Records Section
44132 Mercure Cir.
PO Box 1213
Sterling, VA 20166-1213

The processing time for an amended Consular Report of Birth is 4 to 6 weeks.


Applicants who are requesting an Apostille to Consular Reports of Birth Abroad only should contact our office regarding this process.
To check the status of your FS-240 request, call 202-485-8300.

This page contains some of the information that is on the instruction pages of the DS-2029 form, and it has some additional information that is relevant to submitting your application in the Mission Pakistan Consular Districts.  It may not include all the fields on the form, but it includes the fields that we have seen that have the most mistakes while submitting the form

  • Field # 1
    Enter the name of the child as it is recorded on the local birth certificate.
  • Field # 5/11
    Enter Mother/Father/Parent’s name as it appears on the passport and/or government issued identity document.  In the case of the U. S. Citizen please make sure the information entered in this field is the same that reflects the latest U.S. passport.
  • Field # 6/12
    Enter all legal names ever used by mother/father/parent, including name at birth.  Most naturalized U.S. citizens have only one last name on their U.S. passport, in this field they would include both last names as is on their foreign birth certificate, if applicable.
  • Field # 7
    The address in this field is just for information purposes. You can enter a U.S. or a local address.
  • Field # 10/16
    Enter the address in the foreign country where the application is completed.  Make sure you provide a phone number that we can reach you at during regular business hours since this is our contact method to schedule the appointment.
  • Field # 22/23
    Date of marriage; end date, if any; and manner ended, if applicable. If you have never been married, enter “none.”  Please add the place city and state (if in the U.S.) or city and country (if outside of the U.S.) of the previous marriage.
  • Field # 24/25
    List all dates you have been present in the United States. The transmitting U.S. Citizens parent will have to write down all the dates that s/he has been physically present inside the United States.  If you require additional assistance on this part, there is a section on this website dedicated only on this field.
    If you require additional space to write down the information please continue Section D of the DS-2029 form.

Additional information regarding physical presence in the form DS-2029

We know that this is the most complicated part of this form, so we urge you to please pay close attention to details.

On the list of dates, you provide in field # 24/25, you need to fill out only the dates that you have been physically present in the U.S.  This means that if you left the U.S. for even one day, on vacation to Canada, Mexico, or any other place outside the U.S. or any of its outlying possessions, these dates should not be included on this list.

If you are using your passports to fill out this part of the form, you need to make sure you entered the information correctly on the form.

For example:

All entry stamps to Pakistan or other countries would mean that you have not been in the U.S., therefore these dates should be on the right side, showing an exit from the U.S.

All entry stamps to the U.S. would mean that you are in the U.S., therefore these dates should be on the left side, showing an entry to the U.S.

Due to technology advances, most U.S. passports do not have a U.S. entry stamp, but you may have other information that can help you to fill out the form correctly.