Emergency Financial Assistance

If a U.S. citizen’s money has been lost or stolen in Pakistan, the Embassy/Consulate can help receive funds from friends or relatives in the U.S. If you need help in transferring funds to an American citizen in Pakistan, please call the Embassy or Consulate in your area and ask to be connected to the ACS unit during work hours and consular duty officer after hours emergency .

Islamabad: (+92) (51) 201-4000 or (+92) (51) 201-5000
Lahore: (+92) (42) 3603-4000
Karachi: (+92) (21) 3527-5000
From the United States: 1-888-407-4747

To call the Pakistani police, dial 15.

ATMs and Western Union

The most efficient way to get money to a U.S. citizen in Pakistan is to deposit money in that person’s U.S. bank account, and have the person withdraw the money in Pakistan using an ATM card.

If that option is not possible, we suggest wiring money through Western Union by following the instructions on their website. You may also contact them in by phone at 1-800-425-1851 in the United States, or by finding a local agent in Pakistan by clicking here.

Funds Transfer

If neither the ATM nor Western Union option is possible, you can do a funds transfer through a bank. Please be advised that this service can take up to 14 days for the cash to become available in Pakistan.

Many American banks are affiliated with Pakistani banks and will readily transfer funds. Please ask your American bank for information. American banks with branches in Pakistan include Citibank.
Citibank advises that funds transfers can take up to 14 days.

You can find more information on financial emergencies overseas here.


Email: ACSIslamabad@state.gov